Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Return of Stop Killer Coke

All the way back in 2008 I learned about a campaign called Stop Killer Coke.
I even blogged about it, although at the time I took it somewhat lightly. I didn't exactly blog an in-depth history of the campaign.

There does not seem to be a real plethora of press on the issue since, so while I feel I was slightly negligent, I dont think I missed out on (or misrepresented) a major news topic. Maybe a few articles from 2010 show up on Google.


But the Stop Killer Coke website IS still active.

And I noticed that after 2 years of inactivity, the Stop Killer Coke Twitter Account started rolling again in late June.
(the Twitter feed does not seem to be exclusive to the South American Murders, but rather to the negativity of Coke/soda in general)

Ironically, this past September Mexico was introduced to Coca Cola Life ...which is being positioned as a "healthy" soda given that it has half the calories of a 'regular' can of Coke.
 

Further ironic (is there an expression for THREE items all contradictory?) is that Mexico has since instituted a Soda Tax as a way to compensate for the effort to fight obesity in-country.

South South America has a push-pull relationship with Soda, in several directions!

I'll cover Mexico's love for soda and the corresponding soda tax in later blog posts, but I originally put these thoughts together as I looked back into whether the Stop Killer Coke campaign took on any global traction.

It appears, at least based on my quick research, it hasnt come to much here in the states.


 


No comments: