Monday, July 14, 2008

Socially Responsible China Cola



















I've found a new "hobby" of sorts. Ok, maybe it's an 'interest' as opposed to a 'hobby'.

I'm 'interested' in companies that spend a portion of their profits on charities and other socially-responsible issues.

I tried to find a cola that fit this model. I have to admit, it took a little time.
(one book I read just KILLED Coca Cola for being Socially IRRESPONSIBLE...but it gave mid-to-high marks to Pepsi. This isn't gloating. I was actually SURPRISED. I won't publish the name of the book or the author until I get some more information for you.)

So let me tell you about China Cola.
It's put our by a company called Reed's Ginger Brew.

It first glance, it looks like a socially responsible tea company...since they 'brew' their beverages. A particular Socially Responsible Tea company is Honest Tea. We'll cover them another day, since today we're talking about Cola.

Hmmm...maybe it sounds more like a BEER company!


But read closer. Their website says: "Long before modern soft drinks existed, people brewed their own beverages. In the Caribbean, home brewed ginger beverages are a part of life. Reed’s brews six carbonated and four non-carbonated juice and ginger combinations using only the finest ingredients. The six carbonated flavors are: Original Ginger, Extra Ginger, Premium Ginger, Raspberry Ginger, Cherry Ginger and Spiced Apple."

So far, that Ginger sound quite Yummy...!

By the way, you can read about Ginger here, and you can read about Ginger Rogers here.

Ok, but I dug a little deeper and found their China Cola.
(did I mention that I REALLY like Chinese Food? I really do. This is an unrelated point, but I wanted to share it anyway.)
Since it's a Cola and not a Citrus Beverage, it gets it's own page on the Reed's website.

I figured, I'd have to dig REALLY far to FIND China Cola...but if you click on their Store Locator you'll see that it's offered all OVER the place!!!
(Which means I am off to buy some this week and write a review on it!)

But let's get back to being Socially Responsible.

Now, I don't want to lie or even exaggerate.
Reed's does not donate profits to Cancer Research, nor do they nurse homeless people back to health and then employ them.

But, on their site they mention "Reed’s Ginger Brew is dedicated to supporting non-profits and community based organizations that are noted for their contributions to the community and unique events. Below is a partial listing of some of the events that Reed’s Ginger Brew has supported in the past."

You can read that list here.


Socially Responsible Cola!
Just what I was looking for!


So go to your local health food store, grab yourself a pack of China Cola (and maybe some Roast Pork Lo Mein...!) and know that you're drinking something that does something good!


Brought to you by Reed's Ginger Brew, and our friends at Coke vs. Pepsi

No comments: