Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Coke, Pepsi and 22 Immutable Laws

I read all kinds of books about Selling, Managing, Entrepeneurship and Goal Achieving.

At a family member's house last night, my eye caught a row of books on a shelf in his dining room (Which doubles as his home office). Just the kinds of books I read!

I picked up the one called 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing and flipped thru it. While the majority of the information was always stuff I knew, I WAS humoured to see a TON of references to the Cola Wars!

Each chapter, albeit small, has a drawing to 'summarize' the chapter...and many of the chapters featured a 'Coke vs. Pepsi' concept. The chapter about competition says that if you want to be #2 (Pepsi) you have to do what #1 does (Pepsi). Another one says there are really only 2 players in the field, and everyone else is forgotten. The picture they use says "Coke...Pepsi...Royal Crown WHO?!". The chapter on diversification uses 7-UP as an attempt to avoid the COLA wars.

Further within, there are references to the cola wars in the text. Much of it escapes me now as I went from 'reading for concepts' to 'counting Coke-and-Pepsi references'!

The Coke vs. Pepsi battles should (and likely will) appear in Marketing books and classes of all kinds, as they clearly demonstrate the 22 marketing principles and they feature brands and products that everyone knows and understands.

Perhaps one day my Coke vs. Pepsi lens will appear in those books and classes, too:
www.Squidoo.com/CokevsPepsi

No comments: